Monday 11 August 2014

Review: "Rainey Royal," by Dylan Landis



Expected pub date: 9/9/14
Publisher: Soho Press
Source: BEA
Genre: Lit Fic
Rating: 4.5/5

I was fortunate enough to pick up a signed galley at BEA.

This year's goal is to read outside of my comfort zone. I normally geek out over sci-fi/ fantasy/magical realism/ genre fiction, so starting off my BEA haul with a piece of literary fiction I knew nothing about was a leap. I devoured RAINEY ROYAL in a few sittings and couldn't have been more pleased with my choice.

This book is filled with that sort of complex emotional yearning I often find in the best short stories; but it also has a fulfilling narrative that leads the reader into a powerful relationship with the characters. Rainey, Leah, and Tina are all so fleshed out I felt like the book was 'Pearl Dropping' me through the pages. It surpassed want: I NEEDED to know where the story was gong and how the characters would react. The story was tense and unpredictable. The wordplay was seductive and elusive and every temporal change made perfect sense.

I can't recommend this book enough, although I will certainly try!

ALSO...

Goodreads is having a galley giveaway. Enter here: 


No comments:

Post a Comment